The UK is due to leave the EU on the 31st of October 2019. This is a date that has long been on the horizon, and so far it has been unclear what exactly is going to happen when the UK does indeed leave the European Union. If you are due to drive in Europe after this date, there are a few important documents that you will need to carry with you. Not to worry, we are here to answer your questions.

What license will I need?

You will need to have your UK driving license with you if you are driving to, or through a European country. An international driving permit (IDP) may be needed, depending on which country you are travelling to. You can purchase an IDP from Post Office branches throughout the UK for the cost of £5.50.

Will my car insurance be valid?

Once the United Kingdom has left the EU, you will need a motor insurance green card for your vehicle, caravan or trailer. This green card will prove that your insurance covers the minimum that is required for the country that you are travelling in or through.

How do I get a green card?

You will need to contact your insurance provider to issue your motor insurance green card so that you have this ready for your upcoming journey. You should contact them at least one month ahead of your trip, to ensure that you receive this in plenty of time.

Will I need multiple green cards?

You may need multiple green cards if you are towing a trailer or caravan. This is because you will need a green card for each vehicle, including the ones being towed. Please be aware that some countries may require separate trailer insurance.

Documents to keep with you at all times:

– Valid UK driving license
– International driving permit (IDP)
– Motor insurance green card
– Vehicle registration documents (V5C)
– GB sticker for the number plate
– At least 6 months left on your passport

Do make sure that you carry the appropriate documents with you during your journey, to ensure smooth and safe travel with the EU authorities.

Additional links:

Useful links from, if you need more details:

What do I need as a lorry & goods driver?

What if I drive a bus or coach in the EU?

Which type of international driving permit (IDP) will I need?

You can find further information on what brexit means for motorists from