how to replace lost or stolen car documents

Misplacing important documents can be frustrating and stressful and unfortunately, it’s all too easy to do. However, if you know what to do and where to go, it’s just as easy to replace them! Below we will take you step by step through the process of replacing important motoring documents and certificates.

Driving License

Where: GOV.UK  
What: You will need to provide your Government Gateway ID (this is your user ID which can be obtained at the same time if you do not already have one) and details about where you have been living for the past 3 years. You shouldn’t need to provide a photograph, as it will already be on the DVLA system although you will be notified if you are required to provide a new one.
Cost to replace: £20
How long it takes: 3 weeks
Additional information: If you need to make changes to any of the details on your driving license such as if you have moved address, you will also be required to complete a D1 form which can be obtained from any branch of the Post Office. This will need to be posted along with payment to the address provided on the form.

MOT Test Certificate

Where: Any MOT centre (it does not have to be the exact one that carried out the MOT).
What: You will need to provide your vehicle registration and your V5C log book reference number.
Cost to replace: A maximum of £10
How long it takes: Same day
Additional information: You will receive a fixed penalty notice if your MOT is expired and you have been driving your car, however, it is fine to drive whilst waiting for a replacement certificate and your MOT is still valid. If the police stop you, they can check your MOT status via the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency database.

Log Book (V5C)

Where: You can apply for a new logbook via phone, post or at a Post Office. If your name, home address or vehicle details have changed you will have to apply via post.
What: If applying via post, you will need to download and fill in an application form (V62) and send it to the DVLA along with the payment.
Cost to replace: £25
How long it takes: Applications by phone will take up to 5 days to be processed whilst postal applications can take up to 6 weeks.
Additional information: If you did not receive a V5C with your new car, you will need to apply for one by filling out the V62 and post it to the DVLA along with the green New Keepers Details part of your V5C that you were given when you bought the vehicle (if you don’t have this you will have to pay £25). This can take up to 6 weeks to process.

Over 4 Years

Best available rate
Total cost of credit
Total repayment

motorly is a credit broker, not a lender. Rates start from 6.9% APR. The rate you are offered will depend on your individual circumstances. Representative Example: Borrowing £5,500 over 48 months with a representative APR of 22.9% the amount payable would be £287 a month, with a total cost of credit of £1406 and a total amount payable of £6906.