With the average cost of fuel hitting £1.46p in recent months, driving across the UK are looking at ways to save money at the pumps.

By following a few simple rules, you can conserve fuel and drive more efficiently, getting more miles for your money.

Here are ten tips on how to increase your fuel efficiency:

  1. Use cruise control
    The majority of new cars on the road today have cruise control as standard. If your vehicle does, it can provide a more steady driving experience, making your engine more efficient and therefore save fuel. You don’t have to wait until you are on the motorway to benefit, either.
  2. Use the right gears
    To maximise your fuel efficiency, it’s essential that you choose the right gear for the speed you are driving at. Both over-reving the engine and driving in too low a gear can affect your fuel efficiency.
  3. Avoid idling where possible
    When your car is at a standstill with your engine running and idling your miles per galloon is exactly zero. That’s because whilst you aren’t moving, fuel is still being used. Remember to turn your engine off if you aren’t in motion.
  4. Be careful using air con
    Using the air conditioning in your car will drop the fuel efficiency by 5-10%. Whilst we wouldn’t advise sweltering in the summer heat, it’s best to switch it off when it’s not required.
  5. Reduce drag
    Anything fitted externally to a car, from a bike rack to a flag supporting your favourite team, will increase drag and therefore reduce your fuel efficiency.
  6. Plan your route
    Knowing exactly where you are going will stop you driving unnecessary miles. Planning your journey to avoid traffic hotspots and peak times will also help.
  7. Keep your speed steady
    Accelerating hard will burn through fuel fast. To save on fuel, accelerate gently and maintain a steady speed.
  8. Maintain your car
    Basic maintenance on your car will improve its efficiency. Check your tyre pressure and oil levels regularly.
  9. Lighten the load
    Don’t leave items in the boot of your car. Carrying items you don’t need means the engine has to work harder, decreasing your fuel efficiency.
  10. Shop around for the best prices
    Fuel prices vary from forecourt to forecourt. Shopping around can save you money at the pump.

The UK is due to leave the EU on the 31st of October 2019. This is a date that has long been on the horizon, and so far it has been unclear what exactly is going to happen when the UK does indeed leave the European Union. If you are due to drive in Europe after this date, there are a few important documents that you will need to carry with you. Not to worry, we are here to answer your questions.

What license will I need?

You will need to have your UK driving license with you if you are driving to, or through a European country. An international driving permit (IDP) may be needed, depending on which country you are travelling to. You can purchase an IDP from Post Office branches throughout the UK for the cost of £5.50.

Will my car insurance be valid?

Once the United Kingdom has left the EU, you will need a motor insurance green card for your vehicle, caravan or trailer. This green card will prove that your insurance covers the minimum that is required for the country that you are travelling in or through.

How do I get a green card?

You will need to contact your insurance provider to issue your motor insurance green card so that you have this ready for your upcoming journey. You should contact them at least one month ahead of your trip, to ensure that you receive this in plenty of time.

Will I need multiple green cards?

You may need multiple green cards if you are towing a trailer or caravan. This is because you will need a green card for each vehicle, including the ones being towed. Please be aware that some countries may require separate trailer insurance.

Documents to keep with you at all times:

– Valid UK driving license
– International driving permit (IDP)
– Motor insurance green card
– Vehicle registration documents (V5C)
– GB sticker for the number plate
– At least 6 months left on your passport

Do make sure that you carry the appropriate documents with you during your journey, to ensure smooth and safe travel with the EU authorities.

Additional links:

Useful links from gov.uk, if you need more details:

What do I need as a lorry & goods driver?

What if I drive a bus or coach in the EU?

Which type of international driving permit (IDP) will I need?

You can find further information on what brexit means for motorists from gov.uk.